The Capital District was organized on August 29, 1918, by the two existing clubs in its territory, namely, Washington and Baltimore, with Alfred G. Goodrich, of Baltimore, Governor.
The first annual convention was held in Baltimore, October 4, 1919. At that time there were four chartered clubs, Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington and Richmond, while Norfolk had been completed but not yet chartered. Governor Goodrich was re-elected and Maxime Ducharme, of Richmond, was elected District Secretary. The Lieutenant-Governors were Edwin W. Lintner, of Wilmington, Delaware, and J. D. Hank, Jr.., of Richmond, Virginia.
The first semi-annual convention was held in Wilmington, Delaware, on February 21, 1920. Roanoke, Lynchburg and Portsmouth had clubs by this time.
On August 14, 1920, at a meeting of the District Trustees, the District Secretary resigned and was succeeded by Harry G. Kimball, of Washington, who held that office until January 1, 1923.
The second annual convention was held in Washington, D. C., on October 9, 1920. J.D. Hank, Jr., of Richmond, was elected Governor. The Lieutenant-Governors were John J. Boobar, of Washington, D. C., and William C. Corey, of Wilmington, Delaware. John N. Dimling, of Baltimore, Maryland, was Treasurer.
The second and last semi-annual convention was held in Richmond, Virginia, on April 9, 1921. The new clubs were Newport News, Norton, Pulaski, Martinsville, Salem, Hagerstown, and Clifton Forge, making fifteen clubs.
The third annual convention was held in Norfolk, Virginia, on September 30 and October 1, 1921. One new club , Alexandria, Virginia, had been formed at that time. John J. Boobar, of Washington, D.C. was elected Governor. The Lieutenant-Governors were Julian Y. Williams, of Alexandria,, Virginia, and David Pender, of Norfolk, Virginia. Governor Boobar resigned on March 1, 1922, and was succeeded by Julian Y. Williams, and C. Walter Baker, of Hagerstown, Maryland, was elected Lieutenant-Governor.
The fourth annual convention was held in Washington, D. C., on October 13 and 14, 1922. This was the first convention financed by the District itself instead of the host club. The District was divided into four zones with a Lieutenant-Governor for each. Edwin W. Lintner, of Wilmington, Delaware, was elected Governor for 1923, and Robert E. Turner, of Norfolk, Virginia, District Secretary-Treasurer. The Lieutenant-Governors were C. Walter Baker, of Hagerstown, Maryland; Frank Talbott, of Danville, Virginia; Charles M. Armes, of Roanoke, Virginia; and Allan D. Jones, of Newport News, Virginia.
The following new clubs were formed in 1922: Petersburg, Virginia; Charlottesville, Virginia; Harrisonburg, Virginia; Frederick, Maryland; Staunton, Virginia; Winchester, Virginia; West Point, Virginia, and Marion, Virginia.
The fifth annual convention was held in Baltimore, Maryland, on October 19 and 20, 1923. Claude H. Woodward, of Washington, D.C. was elected Governor. The Lieutenant-Governors were Merle E. Towner, of Baltimore, Maryland; Charles G. Mathis, of Charlottesville, Virginia; Thomas G. Burch, of Martinsville, Virginia; and Joseph M. Fentress, of Norfolk, Virginia. Robert E. Turner, of Norfolk, Virginia, was re-elected District Secretary-Secretary.
The new clubs formed in 1923 were Radford, Virginia; Big Stone Gap, Virginia; Ashland, Virginia; Fredericksburg, Virginia; Seaford, Delaware; Emporia, Virginia; Coeburn, Virginia; South Boston, Virginia; and Covington, Virginia.