In the beginning Kiwanis was challenged to organize clubs. Those clubs formed Districts. The Capital District was organized August 29 1918. At that time Washington and Baltimore made up the District that covered the same area we have today.
As Districts began to grow Kiwanis International decided to form Zones to organize clubs in the same way they organized Districts. By the end of 1922 there were 25 clubs distributed throughout Delaware Maryland District of Columbia and Virginia. The Capital District was then divided into four Zones in January 1923 (the start of the Kiwanis year).
Zone 1 (1923) included 7 clubs (Alexandria Baltimore Frederick Hagerstown Washington Wilmington Winchester). It covered the area Washington DC north to Wilmington DE; west to Hagerstown MD and Winchester VA.
Zone 2 (1923) included 5 clubs (Charlottesville Danville Harrisonburg Lynchburg Staunton) in north central Virginia.
Zone 3 (1923) included 7 clubs (Clifton Forge Marion Martinsville Norton Pulaski Roanoke Salem) in western Virginia. The area covered north to Clifton Forge east to Roanoke south to Martinsville southwest to Norton.
Zone 4 (1923) included 6 clubs (Newport News Norfolk Petersburg Portsmouth Richmond West Point) in eastern Virginia. The area covered north to Richmond south to Norfolk.