The Kiwanis Club of Lynchburg, Virginia, was organized during the early part of December 1919, and completed January 14, 1920, by Field Representative E. F. Wescott, with a membership of 42.
At the organization meeting J. Harry Long was elected temporary President, with L. C. Acree, Jr., temporary Vice-president, and Adrian W. Graves, Secretary-Treasurer. The following members were elected as Directors: J. Harry Long, Clyde Jennings, A. W. Graves, E. M. Wood, Wm. L. Bowman, L. C. Acree, Jr., E. F. Massie, Dave H. Massie, H. C. Adams, Dr. F. 0. Plunkett, R. J. Spearman, and D. W. Sale. On December 19, 1919, J. Harry Long resigned as President and L. C. Acree, Jr., was elected temporary President to succeed him.
1920 Charter Officers
On January 29, 1920, the charter of the club was delivered and presentation made by District Governor Alfred G. Goodrich. During the administration of Giles H. Miller as President the Kiwanis Clubs of Virginia resolved to foster the Good Roads Movement, and commenced a vigorous campaign.
It was during the administration of Charles B. Easley that the Good Roads Movement, started during the previous year, was carried to a successful finish.
During the administration of T. J. William Hams the club organized and sponsored the Kiwanis Club of Charlottesville, Va. and started its educational and benevolent fund. This fund is used ito assist worthy students in securing an education and to give relief to worthy charity cases.
During the administration of A. D. Barksdale, the club helped to organize and sponsored the Kiwanis Club of Danville, Virginia. They also, through the assistance of the Campbell County demonstrator, assisted and financed a number. of boys and girls in attending summer school.
On October 20, 1923, H. G. McCausland was elected Secretary Treasurer to succeed G. Edward Bell, who resigned. The club has also agreed unanimously to back the Historic Highway Movement of Virginia, which is being sponsored by the Lions Club.
The Kiwanis Club of Lynchburg has always worked untiringly for any good civic movement and at the same time tries to make its city and its state a better place to live in.
The club has a present membership of 93.
During this year the club grew in membership and the attendance proved to be the best in the history of the organization.
We sponsored the club in Bedford, and on charter presentation night practically the entire membership of our club motored to Bedford to take part in the ceremonies. The presentation was made in the dining hall of the Randolph Macon Academy and many ladies from Bedford and Lynchburg were in attendance. A splendid fellowship was displayed and several excellent Kiwanis talks were made.
As a part of the club's publicity work, a huge Kiwanis sign costing six hundred dollars, was erected on the bluff overlooking the James River and across from the city. This sign has elicited praise from many Kiwanians and non-Kiwanians from other cities, being in plain view of the trains of the Norfolk Western, the Chesapeake Ohio, and the Southern Railways.
The club presented The Kiwanis Revue at the Academy of Music and succeeded in raising eight hundred dollars for our educational and benevolent fund. All of the performers in the cast were local amateurs.
Two joint meetings were. held, one with South Boston at South Boston, and the other with Danville in our city. At the latter meeting Governor Fentress was the principal speaker.
A meeting with the Lions and Rotary Clubs and the Chamber of Commerce was held at Randolph-Macon Women's College and the Kiwanis Club took a conspicuous part in the program, which had as its objective the boosting of Lynchburg and its industries.
Below is a memorandum of the activities of the educational and benevolent committee of the club for the year April 1, 1924, to March 31, 1925. For the purpose of convenience the activities of the committee are treated under two heads. First, Benevolenee, where no direct financial returns are expected. Second, Educational, where money is loaned to boys and girls to assist them in getting an education.
Sent a blind man to a school for the blind at Oyster Point, Virginia, where he was trained to make mattresses, brooms, re-cane chairs, etc. Prior to losing his sight, he was a hard worker and doing well. He was becoming an expense to other members of his family and the community, but this edu-. cation enabled him to make a good living for his family and he has become self-supporting.
Contributed toward the expenses of the summer short course for the Campbell County girls at the Lynchburg College. Contributed the expenses of six girls from the Presbyterian Orphanage for a vacation at Camp Ruthers. Sent eleven boys to the Boy Scout camp at Pleasant View, Virginia.
Sent two footballs to the boys at the Boys' Home, Covington, Virginia. We also sent two boys to this institution and the committee was agreed to maintain them at the home until they are eighteen years of age or become self-supporting.
A family living near Randolph-Macon Women's College was reported to us on Christmas Eve as being in dire necessity. We sent them groceries, etc., without making an investigation. We found that there was a baby in the house and that they had no milk, no coal, and nothing to eat. Later investigation proved that the family was shiftless and unworthy.
Contributed to the expenses of three boys from the Lynchburg High School to Columbia University, New York, to a contest put on by that university for the best high school paper published east of the Mississippi River. It is worthy of note that Lynchburg, through her three representatives, won the first prize and a special medal.
Contributed clothing, shoes and other necessities to two boys who were badly in need. Contributed toward the expenses of a cripple in a Lynchburg hospital. The Women's Club had undertaken to give him treatment but as the expenses far exceeded their ability to pay, we helped them out. Contributed to the relief of a worthy negro who lost his home and all his furniture by fire.
We sent boys and girls to school during the session of 1924-1925, one each to the following institutions: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Virginia Intermont College at Bristol, Virginia; Lynchburg College; Maryville College, Tennessee; Virginia Polytechnic Institute at Blacksburg; University of Virginia, and Macon School of Printing at Macon, Georgia.
The year 1925 was marked by an increasing interest in Kiwanis activities and the attendance for the entire year was again excellent.
The Lynchburg Club was well represented at the Inter-Club meeting in Roanoke, about twenty members being present. A golf match was played with the Roanoke Club, the latter winning. At the Inter-Club dinner, Rev. Carleton E. Barnwell, Trustee, made a fine Kiwanis talk.
At the District Convention in Staunton, Lynchburg was represented by a large delegation which sought to obtain the 1926 convention. In this we failed but succeeded in having its President, Carter Glass, Jr., elected Lieutenant- Governor of the Second Division.
A joint meeting with the South Boston Club was held at Brookneal and much of the meeting was given over to talks on underprivileged child work, Charles B. Easley, of Lynchburg, and John Hardy, of South Boston, being the principal speakers.
The Kiwanis Club took an active part in the campaign to secure subscriptions to the Shenandoah National Park and was also active in many community propositions.
We sponsored an amateur show and realized a neat profit for the educational and benevolent fund. In reference to the work of the Educational and Benevolent Committee during the year, the following statement, which appeared in the District Bulletin, is of interest:
The year 1926 was marked by numerous activities on the part of the Lynchburg Kiwanis Club. Especially noteworthy was its work along benevolent and educational lines. A budget of over two thousand dollars was available for this work, a large number of boys and girls being enabled to accept Kiwanis aid in finishing their education at many of the educational institutions within the state. Every member of the club contributed to the fund.
In its underprivileged child activities, the club did not forget the orphans in the three homes in Lynchburg. Three hundred children were the guests of the club at John Robinson's circus, while the children at the Presbyterian Home were given their annual watermelon feast. These children were also guests of the club at the entertainment given by the Navy Band under the auspices of the club.
At the Trustees' meeting in Charlottesville, January 18 and 19, the Lynchburg Club was well represented. Governor Mi~rle E. Towner visited the club in February and entertainment was provided at the country club with the daughters and sisters of Kiwanians at Randolph Macon Woman's College, Sweet Briar College and Lynchburg College as guests. Governor Towner delivered the principal address.
The club furnished a large corps of workers for the community chest drive and took a prominent part in the campaign to secure funds for the Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. It also assisted in the YMCA membership campaign.
Entertained delegations from Salem, Bedford and Roanoke Clubs. J. Randall Caton of Alexandria, Past District Governor, was the principal speaker. In the afternoon, the Roanoke and Lynchburg Clubs held a golf match at the country club, Lynchburg winning.
One of the most successful meetings of the year was "Farmers' Night", held on the grounds of the Lynchburg Female Orphanage. Thirty farmers from Campbell County and the Board of Trustees of the Orphanage were guests of the club. The dinner was served by the girls of the orphanage and an interesting program was furnished by the girls before and during the dinner. Several farmers made short talks and at the end of the meeting valuable prizes were presented to the rural guests.
The club continued its active work in the interest of modern highways. During August one of the regular meetings was called off so that the club could attend a good roads meeting at Gretna, Virginia, in the interest of the Lynchburg-D anvil le highway.
The club was well represented at the District Convention in Roanoke, about twenty-five being present. A team of twelve golfers met the Roanoke Kiwanis golf team to play off a tie, Roanoke winning by a close score.
Later in the year the club held a second meeting in the interest of better relations with the farmer.
There were many interesting topics discussed before the club during the year. Among the speakers were: Mrs. John Lewis, Honorary President of the Virginia League of Women Voters; Dr. Marshall Craig of Petersburg, Supervisor of the Natural Bridge National Forest, and Dr. Dice R. Anderson, President of Randolph Macon Woman's College.
Young men and girls were provided with funds for educational purposes as follows: Two students at each of the following, State Teachers College at Harrisonburg, Virginia Commercial College at Lynchburg, Lynchburg College; one student at each one of these, Virginia Intermont College at Bristol, Bluefield College at Bluefield, West Virginia, Maryville College at Maryville, Tennessee, Virginia Polytechnic Institute at Blacksburg, Virginia, University of Virginia and Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, Virginia.
Of this number, two were forced by financial circumstances to quit school, eight have graduated and gone to work, and the balance are still trying to finish their education.
We maintained 2 Lynchburg boys in the Covington Home; sent 3 Lynchburg High School boys to Columbia University on account of the special contest arranged by that university for representatives of all high schools east of the Mississippi River provided the high school students were publishing a school newspaper of some description.
We contributed to the expenses of one hundred and twenty Campbell County girls on account of the summer course at Lynchburg College; sent seven girls to Blacksburg on account of the summer course given at that institution; contributed towards the expenses of 20 girls to the summer course at Sweetbriar College. Paid transportation of 300 orphans to the circus and presented 10 underprivileged boys with tickets to the YMCA.
We observed our annual " E & B Day" on which subscriptions were taken to our Educational and Benevolent Fund amounting to $2,500. We contributed $75 toward the expense of Boys' Week. This was sponsored by Kiwanis, Rotary, and Lions in connection with the YMCA. We had three high school boys talk before our club on how business men might co-operate with the boys to the advantage of both. A young lady was assisted financially to finish her Normal School course. Fifteen girls from Campbell County and fourteen boys and girls from Amherst 'County were sent to summer school at Blackstone, Virginia. On May 11, in connection with Rotary and Lions, we conducted a one-day campaign for the benefit of the Children's Home Society of Virginia. The quota assigned us was $7,000. We actually raised $7,224. We presented the high school football squad of twenty-five with sweaters and gave blankets to the team of the Presbyterian Orphans Home.
On April 8, we had as our guests the officers of the other civic clubs and the Chamber of Commerce as well as 51 of the leading businessmen. The speaker on this occasion was Ralph B. Wilson, Vice-President of the Babson Statistical Organization. We attended the inter-city meeting with South Boston and Bedford on May 13. On November 22 we met jointly with Rotary, Lions, and Foreman's Clubs at the YMCA.
We held a Ladies' Night at Bedford Alum Springs, entertained one hundred and twenty-five young lady students of Randolph Macon, Sweet Briar, and Lynchburg Colleges who were sisters and daughters of Kiwanians, with a banquet and an appropriate program with favors. The meeting was held at Randolph-Macon College.
We received a visit and a fine talk from Governor Perkinson. At the close of the attendance contest, the winning team lead by J. L. Pleasants, Jr., with 92%, received a loving cup. The members of the District Executive Committee were our guests in December. In the same month we held a Past Presidents' Day. The club suffered a loss in the death of W. D. Dinguid, the oldest and a charter member.
The annual subscription for the Educational and Benevolent Fund, usually called E & B Fund, was held on April 13. Every club member subscribed for a total of $1,750. Fund appropriations: $94 to assist a young girl to complete her course at normal school. $740 to assist several underprivileged children. $2,150 for two new students at the University of Virginia and continue six others at other colleges for the school year 1928-1929. $100 to educate a young man at Lynchburg College. $350 to a UVA student. $175 to a young lady to enable her to complete her course at Randolph Macon Woman's College. This fund is approximately $11,000. Each year a number of loans previously made are repaid.
On March 9 our program was by the various departments of the YMCA, preparatory to an unusually successful membership campaign in which a number of our members participated. Two public meetings were held in connection with the proposed amendments to the State Constitution, in order that the public generally might be informed. Congressman Joseph T. Deal, of Norfolk, was the principal speaker against, and State Tax Commissioner Morrisette, in favor of the amendments. The public service of Kiwanis in bringing these two speakers to Lynchburg was much appreciated and acknowledged by the press and the public at large. On September 28, the program of our meeting was turned over to the Educational Department of the YMCA, in connection with night courses of study during the fall and winter months, which were particularly intended for the benefit of working boys. We participated with other civic clubs, under the auspices of the Civic Club Council of Lynchburg, in a campaign for $5,000 for the Children's Home Society of Virginia. The entire amount was raised. The Public Affairs Committee used the program on August 24, by having members make a personal inspection of the telephone exchange and plant.
We presented to the city 400 double flowering Japanese cherry trees to be planted in Riverside Park. City Council in accepting this gift, promised to erect a suitable marker stating that they had been presented by Kiwanis. This is the 3rd largest collection of trees in the United States, the other two being in Fairmont Park, Philadelphia, and Potomac Park in Washington. On December 21, each member brought a toy, the entire lot being turned over to the Carrie Harper Club for distribution to the poor of the city.
A joint meeting of Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, and Foreman's was held to hear Senator W. F. George of Georgia on "The Trend of Government."
All clubs of the 2nd Division was held at Lynchburg on May 11, with 182 Kiwanians. Speakers were Governor Kime, LTG Adams, and G. G. Berry, Chairman of the Efficiency Committee.
A joint meeting with Lions and Rotary was held in October to prepare for the annual community chest campaign.
Meetings during the year were in charge of the various committees. Our annual Ladies' Night was held on December 7, with Jules Brazil as the entertainer.
Our Educational and Benevolent Fund which has done so much good in past years, was incorporated to provide permanence and the proper disposition of its money.
The total raised for the fund in 1929 was $1,465 and the total amount was appropriated.
Our E. & B. Fund has reached the point now that we are getting a nice turn over on loans made during the past six years. We, therefore, appropriate the entire subscription amount and count on our repayments from previous loans to take care of any additional expenses, loans or charitable contributions.
Among the objects for which these appropriations were made: money to enable a young man to complete his course at VPI. A boys expenses at Boys' Home, Covington. Contribution towards children expenses attending the State shorthand contest at Fredericksburg. Contributions toward Amherst County girls expenses at a summer course at Blacksburg, Va. Loans to two young ladies to complete their courses at Farmville Normal School and to another for a purpose at Fredericksburg Normal School. The revolving fund now amounts to over $10,000 and is increased each year by voluntary subscription of the members.
Appropriations were also made to assist girls at Lynchburg College, University of Georgia, and Randolph Macon College. We contributed to the expense of the high school band on a trip to Danville with the high school football team.
Resolutions were adopted requesting City Council for better lighting in the city. The matter received immediate and favorable action by the authorities. We heard an address on City Planning. Action was urged in the matters of an airport and a new city auditorium and the US Government was requested to purchase additional ground for the site of a new post office and federal court building.
The meeting of December 6 was addressed by H. G. Shirley, Chairman, State Highway Department, and a large number of guests were present, including some of the most prominent business men in the city. A farmers meeting was held with an address by Prof. J. R. Hutchinson, of Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
LTG Charles E. Evans met with us. We assisted in entertaining those in attendance at the Lions District Convention. Two meetings were in charge of the Kiwanis Education Committee.
All Kiwanis Night was observed. An inter-club meeting was held at Bedford with Governor Kimball, LTG Evans and Eugene Woodson as the speakers. We played baseball with Bedford for the benefit of the Bedford High School. A golf tournament with Rotary and Lions gave Kiwanis the victory.
One Of the most interesting and important of our activities is our Educational and Benevolent Fund, known to us as our E. and B. Fund. This is used to make loans to deserving students to enable them to obtain a higher education, and these loans have to be repaid within a certain number of years after graduation. Each Year the members subscribe to the fund, which, with repayments, enables us to take care of new loans. The schools these students attend keep us advised as to the work they are doing. This year (1930) represents the ninth year of our E. and 13. Fund work. In many ways 1930 was its most successful year. The total amount of money loaned to students for educational purposes amounted to $2,694, and the amount expended for charitable purposes $722. The total subscriptions by members of the club amounted to $1,382, and repayments on loans by students $2,131, leaving at the end of the year an outstanding investment of $11,000.
Other club appropriations were: $25 for the Christmas stocking fund. $10 for supplies at the convict camp. Expense of a "World Peace" lecture by Private Peet, $15 for Blue Ridge Sanatorium, $40 for Amherst County Girls' Summer Course, and $210 to deliver 50 baskets of food weighing 75 pounds each to needy families.
A committee on Vocational Guidance was appointed. Arrangements were made with the principal of the high school for bimonthly talks to the students.
We participated in an inter-club meeting at Roanoke on May 20, at which time Salem was also present. Tile meeting was preceded by a golf tournament. The principal address was made by Dr. J. F. Peake, of Randolph-Macon Women's College, on World Peace. We were lost to these clubs on July 18, at which time another golf tournament was played.
A series of current event talks were given during the year by Dr. J. F. Peake, Professor of Political Science of Randolph Macon Women's College. A Ladies Night was held at Boonsboro Country Club. All-Kiwamis Night was observed. Mr. James R. Gilliam, Jr., a member of the "Virginia Good Will Party" to England, told us of his trip.
A farewell meeting was tendered to Mrs. C. S. Ferguson, County Demonstrator, who had worked in close cooperation with the club for five years and who was transferred to other territory. At the same meeting her successor, Miss Ella Pitts, was welcomed. A joint meeting of all civic clubs was held in the interest of the communitv chest. Senator Glass addressed the club on the Federal Reserve System. The orchestra of the college gave a most pleasing program at one of our meetings.
Lieutenant-Governor-elect Carleton Barnwell, from our club, field a school of instruction for the officers of this Division on December 12, and the visitors attended our meeting and furnished the program.
On December 19, we heard a talk by Adjuct Lewis of the Salvation Army. He spoke on Christmas relief work in general, and that of his own organization in particular.
Jointly with other civic clubs, we sponsored a meeting addressed by W. A. R. Goodwin of Williamsburg, on the rehabilitation of that city and the Yorktown Sesquicentennial.
The District Trustees Mid Winter meeting was held in our city and those in attendance were entertained by us.
During civic week in March, we participated in a joint meeting with Rotary and Lions.
Our "E, and B. Day" was held when pledges were taken for our Education and Benevolent Fund amounting to $1,240. We loaned to boys and girls to enable them to attend college $2,900 and made donations with no obligation of repayment amounting to $359. This fund has now been in existence for ten years, during which time about 500 young people have been assisted in their education. The total amount loaned during that time was $20,359 of which $8,750 has been repaid. The club authority to publication of a complete history.
We observed All-Kiwanis Night, attended an inter-club meeting at South Boston, assisted in a campaign for funds for Virginia Children's Home Society and assisted 4-H Clubs.
We helped in the matter of securing appropriations for a community market building and a new armory. Held a half-price lunch, the cost difference was donated to the ice fund. Played a golf tournament with Rotary for the benefit of this fund.
The "buddy system" was adopted to improve attendance. Held a meeting in the country. Collected clothing for needy children. A "Father and Son" meeting was held. We were host to the clubs of the Second Division in September, program was broadcast. A joint meeting with Rotary and Lions was held in the interest of the Community Chest. Distributed 60 Christmas baskets.
The club furnished workers for the Children's Home Society Drive, held one program on Under-privileged Child Work and sent out 65 baskets at Christmas.
The club loaned from its E. and B. Fund $2,550 to twelve boys and girls for college work, and held a special program on Boys and Girls Work,
The club had programs on the Safety Movement, on the Causes of Business Depression, on Taxation and on the Athletics in American Life. It endorsed Piedmont Highways Movement, the project for Vacant Lot Gardens, the Salvation Army Campaign for funds. It had one program on Ethics in Business and had a special joint meeting with Rotary and Lions in the interest of the Community Chest. A delegation was sent to the tenth anniversary of the Charlottesville club.
Joint meetings were held with Rotary and Lions to hear an address on World Conditions and in celebration of Washington's Birthday. Held a picnic, and had two golf matches with Roanoke and Salem, had the Rotary club as its guest at one meeting and were guests of Rotary at another.
The club celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary and All-Kiwanis Night, entertained the District Governor, sent a large delegation to the Division Meeting at Danville and sent delegates to the International Convention and to the District Convention.
The club again furnished workers for the Childrens Home Society Drive. It held a one-half price luncheon and contributed the balance to the Ice Fund. At Christmas it sent out 54 baskets at a cost of $200.
An E. and B. Day was held for the education fund and this revolving loan fund helps many boys and girls through college. The club furnished a prize for the Tennis Tournament, and held a Father and Son Day.
The club had a Rural Program at which a number of Future Farmer of America boys were guests and helped to put on the program. It also furnished a speaker who addressed 200 high school pupils. The club worked in the Y. M. C. A. membership drive, contributed $100 to the Community Chest and put on a program urging the support of the President.
A large delegation attended the eleventh anniversary of the Charlottesville club. The club was a guest of the P. and B. W. club at one meeting and had a golf match with Roanoke and Charlottesville. Sent a delegation to the Division Meeting at Danville, entertained the District Governor, and LTG. Host to the District Convention in October.
The club aided the Childrens Home Society in its drive for funds. It sponsored Donkey Baseball and from the proceeds sent 12 boys to Scout Camp and 10 to the Y. M. C. A. Camp. It contributed $1300 to the Milk and Ice Fund for Under-privileged Infants and treated 300 orphans to ice cream. Each member of the club contributed a toy to the Salvation Army's Christmas Tree.
The Loan Fund for education has now amounted to approximately $13,000 of which $12,717 is at present loaned out. The club offered prizes to school children for the best essays on "Does It Pay to Be Honest." The club entertained the directors and officers of the Virginia Crop Improvement Association with a program on Better Understanding of the Farmer by the City Man. It also entertained the Vocational Agriculture Instructors of Amherst and Appomattox counties and 6 Future Farmers of America, who put on the program.
Had programs on The Work of the Junior League for Underprivileged Children and on City Planning. Aided in the YMCA Membership Drive. Host to Chase City and Victoria-Kenbridge, and visited Charlottesville and Roanoke (with a Golf Tournament.)
Celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, entertained the District Governor and had representatives to the District and International Conventions.
The club sent ten boys to the YMCA Camp. It contributed $15 to the Milk and Ice Fund, and entertained 600 children at a Theatre Party and sent them home with stockings filled wit], candy and fruit at Christmas. The club continued its policy of loaning money from its Loan Fund to deserving students. It gave a prize of $10 to each class of the High School for the best essay, "Does it Pay to Be Honest?" Some of these essays were published. The club cooperated with the F. F. A. boys in their Farm Show.
The club aided in the Community Chest Drive and had interesting programs on the F. H. A., The National Parks, Commercial Chemistry, The State Chamber of Commerce, The Childrens Home Society, The FERA, Infantile Paralysis and The New Deal.
The club had a Golf Match with Roanoke followed by an inter-club luncheon. The club took part in a joint meeting with the other civic clubs and the Chamber of Commerce, and it held a Ladies Night. It held a meeting on Kiwanis Education, celebrated Constitution Week, and was represented at the International and the District Conventions and the Division Meetings.
The club sent 10 boys to the YMCA Camp, contributed $25 to the Milk and Ice Fund and entertained 700 children at a Christmas Theatre Party. This year the club attempted to get in touch with juvenile delinquents who were brought before the police court and to assign each to some member of the club who had volunteered to try and help some boy. The club again supported the FFA Farm Show.
The club received the Golden Rule from Washington and carried it to Victoria-Kenbridge. The club celebrated Valentine's Day and the Fourth of July and had a big joint meeting with the other civic clubs and the Chamber of Commerce.
The club celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, entertained the LG and was represented at the International and District Conventions.
The club had programs on Boys Work, Modern Boys and Their Problems, Fathers' Duties, and the Why of the Y. One meeting was devoted to the report of the E. and B. Loan Fund for 1936 and subscriptions for 1937. This fund has now assets amounting to $12,000 and has benefited 85 boys and girls by means of education and loans and has contributed a total of $6,000 for educational purposes. The club had a program on Scouting, contributed $15 to the Scout Camp, and held one meeting with the Scouts at Camp. Had a joint meeting with Rotary and Lions on the Scouting program. Held a meeting at the Armory where a Farm Show was put on by the F. F. A. Boys and the 4-H Club Girls.
The club celebrated the 79th anniversary of the birth of U. S. Senator Carter Glass, by planting a memorial oak tree suitably marked. Celebrated Easter and held a joint meeting with the C. of C. at their annual banquet. Programs of especial interest were on Syphilis, Public Highways, Safety on Highways, Safety in Transportation, The Milk Industry in Virginia, The Ethics of Retail Business, Building Better Business, The Olympic Games, National Defenses, Municipal Financing, Personal Problems in Industry and Stamp Collecting. The club celebrated Washington's Birthday, had a joint meeting with Lions and held a Ladies Night.
Celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, had programs on Kiwanis Education. Entertained the LTG. Sent delegates to International and District Conventions, and held a meeting as a Memorial to Past Governor Ed Hill.
The Educational and Beneficent Committee collected subscriptions and reported on scholars and 11 loans from the fund. The club directed
the camp for fund,; for the Children's Society. It contributed $18.75 to the Ice Fund, $175.
It had one program on Citizenship and contributed its share to the Citizenship Medal give" bv tile Civic Club Council. One program was given on rural affairs.
The club attended interclub meetings at Danville and Crewe delivering Log to Crewe and was host to Crewe, Bassett and Danville.
The club held a Ladies Night, won the Cup in the Civic Softball League, and had 30 Kiwanians and their wives at the Governor's Ball at the District Convention.
Member contributions of the Educational and Benevolent Fund were
about double those for 1938. One meeting of the club was devoted
to packing 800 Christmas stockings to be distributed at the children's
Movie given by the club on Christmas.
The club was host to the Rotary, Lions, Exchange and Foreman's clubs
at a big joint meeting, and it held a Ladies Night.
One meeting each year is devoted to the committee's report on the
Educational and Benevolent Fund and the augmenting of this fund
by voluntary gifts from the members of the club. The amount of these
gifts this year was $900.00. Half of the amount contributed each
year goes for benevolent work, and the remainder is put into the
revolving educational loan fund.
The sum of $50 was given to the Boy Scout organization, and loans amounting to $2,390 were made to twenty young men and women to enable them to go on with their education. In the fifteen years of its existence about $40,000 has been loaned for this purpose. The club had a Father, Son and Daughter Night, at which the sons and daughters put on the program. It also had the Choral club from one of the city schools put on one program.
The club celebrated Washington's birthday and Flag day, entertained Lynchburg's champion baseball team, aided the YMCA drive for membership, and had a series of programs at each of which some member of the club described the business which gave him his classification.
The club won the local softball championship, played golf, and held
a very successful Ladies Night.
The club celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, and Constitution Week, was represented at the International and the District Conventions, and made a survev of Division II to determine whether there was any possibility of forming a new club.
The club put on a Minstrel which cleared $1,455. Of this $808.84 was given to the local Community Chest to complete its budget, the remainder being added to the Benevolent Fund. The following named sums were spent: $300 to establish a new Day Nursery, $85 to the colored nursery, $50 to the Ice Fund, $50 to the Salvation Army Camp, $49 to send seven boys to this camp, $25 to the Milk Fund, and $100 for Christmas stockings presented at the Christmas morning movie, at which eight hundred children were guests.
$50.00 was given to the Boy Scout organization, $50 to the YMCA Camp, and $50 to start a library at the municipal playground. The playground children put on one program, and the sons and daughters of members furnished the entertainment on Father, Son and Daughter Night. A program was given On tile First Farmers of America, and loans amounting to $2,603 were made to 23 students.
The club sent delegations to visit Roaoke, twice to Martinsville, and twice to Danville, on one of which occasions the International President was the speaker.
The club had a joint meeting with Rotary, organized a softball team,
and held a successful Ladies Night.
The club gave $300.00 to one Day Nursery and $44 to another and $25 to the Ice Fund. Several children were sent to the YMCA camp.
The club had its usual Educational and Benevolent Fund meeting with a satisfactory response in donations. Twenty-three boys and girls were enabled to stay in school by means of loans from this fund, and a number of girls were sent to the Girl Scout Camp. This year the Father, Son and Daughter meeting was entertained by a magician instead of having the boys and girls put on the program.
The members of the club as individuals took active part in furthering the war effort, doing whatever things they were asked to do in civilian defense work. Evidence of their interest appears in the subjects of many programs. The club sent a Christmas gift to each of its members in the armed forces. Interesting programs were given on Civilian Defense, We Must Will the Peace, tile Telephone in War Effort, Pre-Flight Training, Public Education in the War, the Church after the War, Federal Housing, Post-War Plans, National Christian Mission, Fire Prevention, Egypt and 1razil.
The club sent representatives to interclub meetings at Charlottesville, Roanoke, and Danville, and held one big inter-club of its own, at which 7 clubs were represented, honoring the District Governor.
The club held its annual Ladies Night, and had joint meetings with the other service clubs, one of which was outstanding, in that it was field in honor of Mrs. Rebecca Yancey Williams, who had come to Lynchburg for the premiere of the Vanishing Virginian. The club also had a golf team. The club celebrated All-Kiwanis Week, was represented at the Midwinter Conference, the International and District Conventions, and the Training School for club officers, and was honored by having one of its members chosen as District Governor for 1943.
The Educational and Benevolent Fund of tile club has for its definite objective assisting those worthy students who otherwise would not have advantage of higher education. This assistance is both financial and advisory. There is now a revolving fund of approximately $18,000, a good portion of which is loaned to students, and $2000 invested in War Bonds. During tile past year, eight loans have been made to the amount of $2,125. Donated $75 to send 15 boys to camp for 1 week. Donated $70 to help a crippled girl and partly pay her expenses to Hot Springs. Donated $25 to the Milk Fund for under-nourished children.
The club put on a Victory Garden drive, and gave $150 in War Bonds for the best gardens in the city. A fair was held for tile exhibition of vegetables grown in the Victory Gardens, and the sum of $50 in war stamps was donated as prizes for the best vegetables shown.
The club raised $2,250 to purchase equipment for a Community Cannery, with the capacity of 8,000 cans per day. Nearly 10,000 quarts were canned during the season.
Two joint meetings were held with Rotary, Lions, and Exchange.
The club was represented at the Mid-Winter Conference, tile international and the District Conventions, and the Training School for Club Officers. The club celebrated Kiwanis Anniversary, held Kiwanis Education meetings, and furnished the District Governor for the year. Fifteen members were in the armed forces on December 31.
The club continued to carry on its work under the Educational and Benevolent Fund, which has assets of $27,229 derived from voluntary contributions of the members of the club, making loans to worthy boys and girls during the year of $6,360; continued the maintenance of the Dearington Centre, a club house and playground, in the poorer section of the city, providing a coach and necessary equipment for the teams; took 50 children from the Centre to a circus, and gave a Christmas party to at least 100 with presents and candy and fruit for each child; took an active part in promoting the Blood Program, securing 279 successful donors; and had especially planned religious program at Easter and Christmas
1969 - 1970
1970 - 1971
1971 - 1972
1972 - 1973
1974 - 1975
1975 - 1976
1977 - 1978
1979 - 1980
1980 - 1981
2000 - 2001
2001 - 2002
Year End: 111 Projects completed, 491 Service Hours, $69 Spent, 17 Interclubs
Year End: 94 Projects completed, 475 Service Hours, $0 Spent, 4 Interclubs
2003 - 2004
Year End: 214 Projects completed, 1023 Service Hours, $22,445 Spent, 6 Interclubs
2004 - 2005
Contribution to Tsusami Relief through KI Foundation $370.
Year End: 148 Projects completed, 603 Service Hours, $26,256 Spent, 1 Interclubs
Year End: 106 Projects completed, 270 Service Hours, $1,501 Spent, 0 Interclub
Year End: 9 Projects completed, 137 Service Hours, $1000 Spent, 11 Interclub
Year End: 58 Projects completed, 1382 Service Hours, $5,518 Spent, 3 Interclub
2008 - 2009
Year End: 74 Projects completed, 838 Service Hours, $5,630 Spent, 5 Interclub
Year End: 12 Projects, 1471 Service Hours, $31,800 Spent, 6 Interclub, $0 CD Foundation
Year End: 18 Projects, 372 Service Hours, $2563 Spent, 5 Interclub, $300 CD Foundation
2011 - 2012
2012 - 2013
2014 - 2015
2016 - 2017
2017 - 2018
2018 - 2019
2019 - 2020